Monday, July 9, 2012

Learning the Art

At work, many women look at how I do my makeup and wonder how I learned. My mother-in-law even told me that I make it look easy. And for some people, it is. I, on the other hand, worked extremely hard to learn to do makeup.

It helped that when I started getting into the artistry, I was working at Bare Escentuals and was able to practice a lot on others. Plus I had an endless supply of makeup and brushes to use. But slowly I started buying my own supplies and began practicing at home.

When I first started really learning, I practiced constantly. I bought every single book I possibly could. Some great ones are by Bobbi Brown. I also rummaged the clearance section of Barnes and Nobles and got a few more. 

I also used Youtube as a big learning tool. Many of the girls had much more experience than I did with blending and artistry in general. I watched their videos and tried to replicate the looks using Bare Minerals and MAC pigments.

I constantly practiced. I learned what worked and what didn't work. I learned how to make my job essentially easier. I asked my old co-workers questions constantly. I practiced on everyone that would let me. When I realized that I wanted to make artistry my career, I took every job I could, whether it was paid or not.

Eventually I even went to school where I learned even more techniques.

Overall, I've stayed open-minded and take constructive criticism and run with it. I still practice new looks, challenge myself with new techniques, use new cosmetics, etc. I'm no where near perfect, but I keep striving to be great. So if you want to be better at the art of makeup artistry, it's just like any other skill; practice makes perfect!

As always, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, leave a comment below.

Don't forget to RSVP for my event! Go to my event page for more details :)

No comments:

Post a Comment